Saturday, February 16, 2013

Half Square Triangles

I was able to finish another quilt this week.  This one is made up of all half square triangles.  I used the method by the Missouri Star Quilt Company to cut them up.  You can see the video below.
My friend Christina at The Sometimes Crafter came up with a bunch of measurements for everybody to use if they want to try this method, on Whipup!  I refer to her post all of the time, it's so nice when somebody else does the math for you right??
My original idea for these half square triangles was to use a herringbone layout.  However, my fabrics were all of the same values and the pattern got lost because of the fabrics.
While I was at sewing night with my friends, Jenn helped me come up with a better layout for the blocks.  We went with a barn raising layout, and I love it!
The colors I used were inspired by the Pacific Northwest winters.  Gray, muted colors.  I am really happy with how this turned out.  It's a baby size quilt, and I put it up for sale in my Etsy Shop.
I used a herringbone print for the backing, since I couldn't get that pattern to work on the front LOL!  Next time I try the herringbone layout, my fabrics will have a lot more contrast.  Have a great weekend everybody!

4 comments:

Tania said...

Love this quilt - great color choice.

Denise in PA said...

I love this quilt, Heather- the fabrics are fabulous together! I think this layout is perfect! I did a layout like this for a larger wedding quilt a couple of years ago - it's such a classic. I bet this one flies out of your shop!

Loraine said...

Very Cute Heather! I loved catching up on all of your happenings the past few months. It looks like you have made some wonderful things lately. :)

MysteryKnitter said...

Looks awesome! Whoever will have this, she or he will be one happy baby.