Thursday, August 09, 2012

Trying new things... can be difficult

I am always wanting to try new things.  A Lonestar quilt has been on my list of "quilts to make someday, when I am brave enough" list.  I love how they look, how the way you place colors can make it different.

Well, I got a bee in my bonnet yesterday and decided it was time to do this!

I pulled out fabrics, I knew I wanted it nautical themed, because that is just how I roll.  I love anything nautical, as you all know.  The pattern I am using calls for four lonestar blocks, they aren't very big.  I decided that every block should be a bit different.  Here are the fabrics I pulled, along with the start of each block.

Block #1

Block #2

Block #3

Block #4

Well, that was fun, now comes the HARD part.  Y-Seams.  You all heard me.  I have tried Y-Seams once, like 8 years ago, and they sucked.  So.... I looked up Youtube videos, pulled out books, and of course, read the instructions on the pattern I am using.  They all tell you something a bit different, but have one common theme.  Mark your 1/4" points.  I made a "test block" to see if I could figure it out.

From far away this block looks decent... let's zoom in shall we?

Hey, look at this disaster of a corner!
Oh, and this one too!
My mom called me while I was in the middle of this, and she seemed concerned for my well being.  I told her I'd call her when I figured it out, and so she'd know I wasn't going to lose my mind.
Finally, FINALLY, I had a successful seam.
And one more!
I am going to conquer this, I know it!  However, if you don't hear from me in a week, please come find me... I'll be clutching my seam ripper and hiding in a corner LOL!!

11 comments:

http://thankfullga447 said...

Wow the blocks are beautiful and the fabrics work so well. Keep on going.

Dolly said...

I can't remember where, but the other day I ran across a blog post where the person had split the corner square into 2 triangles, so that they could sew a triangle onto each side of a diamond point, and thereby avoid doing a y-sean, She split the triangle between two diamonds the same way.

Pretty smart, but it looks like you're getting the hang of this method already. I do alway oversize my corner and triangle pieces, so that I can trim up the finished block to look really good.

Emma said...

i know the part about waiting until i finally dare :) For some reason I do not dare to make a journal cover...

Emma said...

well I couldn't leave my fear behind me and dared to make a journal cover... :) it worked. not perfect.. but fine for a first try :)

charlotte said...

You can do this. It is like anything else...practice makes perfect. Each one will get better than the one before. You are doing better already. Love the color and fabric choices.

Denise in PA said...

Hang in there - you'll get it! I absolutely love your blocks - the fabrics are awesome!

Dawn said...

your blocks are beautiful -- such wonderful fabric choices! The secret to successful y-seams is to sew within a stitch (or two -- but no more) of the 1/4" mark. You can't sew beyond the 1/4" mark but you can stop before it arrives. Try it and let me know what you think! It has always worked for me.

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks amazing, I think that is on MY todo list now :)

Loraine said...

Good for you for attempting this difficult quilt. I love the nautical theme too! I think there is a new ruler just out, that cuts out the Y seams. My local quilt shop was demoing it after market. Try Deb Tucker's website to learn more.
Good luck. Sorry it's been such a stress, but you quilt this thing, you won't notice those bumps!

MysteryKnitter said...

I hope you'll conquer that Y seam one day.

Salad Recipes said...

Thankks for this blog post