Saturday, August 18, 2012

Tote & Book Swap

While blog surfing awhile back, I came across a post on Bonnie's blog: Pink Stitches.  She was starting a Tote & Book swap.  I signed up right away.  I love making tote bags, and books... well who doesn't like a good book?  I was given Ros at Sew Delicious as a partner.  Ros and I have a lot in common, we are the same age, have two kids, love to read the same books, and both love fabric.  How great is that??  I enjoyed making this tote for Ros.  She loves Echino fabrics, and since they are a sturdy linen, they work perfectly for tote bags.
I used my favorite tote bag pattern, the Summer Madras Tote tutorial by Noodlehead.  I've made a dozen of these bags now... LOVE them!
(Model, I am not, LOL!  My daughter was taking the pictures and I was trying not to crack up)
(The back of the tote, love that deer!)
After I sewed up the bag, I thought the linen pocket on the front was bare.  I kicked myself for not stitching something on it, DUH.  Anyways, I whipped out my book Make it Sew Modern by V&Co.  The little flower you see there on the cover of the book?  I had to make one for this tote.  It was so fun to make, I will be whipping up more of them for sure.
The book I bought for Ros was by one of my favorite authors, Shannon Hale. She writes young adult fantasy type stories.  They are really good.  So, I chose The Book of a Thousand Days for her.  I loved this book, I wanted to buy her all of Shannon Hale's books, but held back, shipping 10 books to Australia wasn't in my budget... 
Have you read any books by Shannon Hale?  What have been your favorite summer reads?

4 comments:

Loraine said...

What a fun exchange. Your bag is perfect, and although I have not read the book, I may have to give it a go. Thanks for the recommend.
I love your hair! It's getting long, and you look like a model to me! :)
Have a great one.

Linda said...

I love your bag. The bck is as cute as the front! Shannon Hale is one of my favorite authors and I can never decide if "Princess Academy" or "Book of 1000 Days" is my all-time favorite...I loved reading "East" by Edith Patou this summer...AND, before I even read your comment I thought, "Wow, she's so beautiful. She looks like a model in this photo!"

Roslyn said...

Such a fabulous bag and I use it all the time! It is such a great size. I haven't started the book yet, I am entrenched in a series (The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare) at the moment and I've still got a couple of books to go! Thanks again Heather I loved my gifts! xx

MysteryKnitter said...

What a nice bag you have made! SH isn't familiar author to me.