Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sewing Space

There are many of my friends who have a room in their home dedicated as their Sewing Room. They have a big table, a cork board for inspirations, a shelf to hold their stuff, and a design wall. All of you who have that space are so lucky! My house is smallish, so there isn’t a room for my sewing. I have to share. The past 9 years I have been sewing on my kitchen table. We have a really big kitchen table, but it’s our table you know? It was hard to share, and with the amount of things we need to use that table for: meals, homework, school projects etc. my sewing was always in the way, and I was so stubborn and refused to put it away because I can’t get my sewing done if I have to constantly be putting away and setting up.

This past year Mark and I have been trying to figure out what to do about it. I wanted it in our bedroom, he didn’t. I wanted a new table by our desk in the kitchen area, he didn’t. And we went round and round. He had no solutions to our dilemma. So, I brought up again moving it to our bedroom. In our smallish house, the master bedroom is HUGE. He finally relented, and I bought a folding plastic table at Costco for $50.00. And that, my friends, is the best $50 I’ve spent! I am set up right under the windows for maximum light, and I can keep up with my kids when they are out in the front yard playing in the culdesac. My kids aren’t sure if they like my new spot yet :P I’m always looking over their shoulders now, I find this really fun. They find it annoying.

I can leave my stuff out! I can make a big mess and who cares? I get a nice breeze through the window! It’s wonderful! My fabric won’t get crumbs on it! My kitchen table actually looks like a kitchen table now!


I have yet to figure out a design wall, I may not get one still, and for now that is okay. I can live with that. I am just so happy to have a little corner in our house just for my sewing.

10 comments:

Andee said...

congrats on moving up in the world..I too used to sew on the kitchen table, then on a table in my bedroom..and two years ago I picked the house we have so I would have a QUILTING STUDIO (lol it is a loft kind of tiny room) but I LOVE it...I know what you mean about the setting up time...you lose motivation to sew...

Carolyn said...

WOOHOOOO!!! So happy you have your own "happy spot" now! It's so wonderful to be able to leave it all out, isn't it? Enjoy!

Von said...

I'm so happy that you've been able to set up this little dedicated sewing space, Heather!! Especially nice that you can still keep an eye on the kids, even if they don't appreciate that aspect. :)

Melanie said...

Perfect.... I love the kid part....Moms can fit it all in the schedule if they work at it.

Just Jenn said...

I love that you have a nice dedicated sewing space... *finally*! $50 is way cheaper then buying a new house to accommodate a sewing room. ;^)

charlotte said...

Great that you have your new space. About the design wall, have you checked out sewkatiedid the blog? She has a really cool idea for a design wall that you hang near the ceiling and roll up and tie when not in use. Hers is in her living room. Check it out, it may work for you.

Kathy A. said...

What a joy that must be - to have your own workspace. In Arizona I use one of those tables for my sewing space too. Your table looks just like me. I too treat it like it's 50 feet long and keep adding projects instead of stiching to one.
I see you are designing a quilt too. Go Girl!!

Diane E W said...

I had one of those brown tables (like yours but brown and HEAVY) I would keep my stash and supplies in plastic totes under it and made a table cloth to drape all the way to the floor on the front side. It was a good set up, I happy for you, finally have a sewing space. Design wall? Use the board insulation (4x8 i think, can cut in half for 4x4 or buy two and tape together for 8x8)and cover with flannel slide it under your bed when you need to hide it for a while or not in use.

MysteryKnitter said...

Wow. I am happy your DH finally agreed.

Book Room Review said...

Your the best