Monday, January 03, 2011

A New Year

A fresh new year is always pretty fun. I love thinking of all the things I can learn and do in the upcoming year. I accomplished many of my goals for 2010 that I had made for myself in quilting. I want to step outside of my sewing and stitching haven this year though. I’ve worked part time for a whole year now. It has been life changing for me and my family. I feel like a whole new person. I’ve been trying to find a good balance for myself, how much time to devote to certain things.

This year in sewing I want to continue making quilts from my stash. I’ve enjoyed that a lot last year. I have so many quilts in my head! I won’t list them all out, I am not going to pressure myself with deadlines right away. I will try to implement a monthly “to do” list though, this helps me stay on track. In stitching I want to continue finishing the current WIP’s that I’ve started over the past several years. There are 3 big ones to do, so I will try and finish two of them at least. I will try not to buy so much just for the sake of having it.

Last year was the year of simplifying my life, less clutter, less stuff in my house. I did pretty well I think. I want to continue with it, and make a few challenges for myself by buying less stuff this year. I.E. clothes, shoes, decorations, etc. I have enough and I am content. I need to stop buying :) Oh, I am such a consumer. I love shopping, I need to love other things more!

I want to start running. My husband is a runner. He hasn’t ran for a few months however. I found online the “Couch to 5K” program. I want to start this in January. The only problem with running here (in Portland) is the rain, it rains like crazy! I suppose I can put on a rain poncho and just go for it. I am hoping if I can start running, my husband and I can do it together. I have no interest in running long distances or for long periods of time. I want to run to be healthy and have more energy. I hike a lot, ride bikes a lot and play with my kids, but I need a more steady (and cheap) workout that isn’t inside of a gym.

There are some things I want to study more. Several things, but I’ll list a few. I want to study how to use and operate my new camera. Maybe this will require taking a class or something, or just plain studying the manual and practicing with it as much as I can. I love taking photos, and this new camera is awesome! Also I would like to study my scriptures more, and continue strengthening my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I feel so grounded and happy when I take the time to do this.

Traveling is always a priority in our home. My husband is always traveling for work, and our families all live outside of Oregon. We have to travel. This spring we are planning a family vacation, this summer another vacation to West Virginia to see Mark’s family. I hope to see my family in the late summer in Colorado. We are so bad at planning ahead for trips, we usually just get tickets a few weeks ahead and go, this year I actually want to plan it out so I don’t feel so scattered.

I am rambling on I know, but it feels good to write it all down, and even have people read it. It makes it feel real. These are all hopes and dreams, if I can accomplish even one I will be ecstatic! Here is to a hopeful and fun 2011!

2 comments:

randi said...

I did the couch to 5K a couple of years ago and I love it. It helps to start small and work up to the 3 miles.

Somehow my hubs has talked me into running tomorrow morning with him. at 6:30. in the dark. I am not sure how he did this. He is a tricky guy, I guess! :)

Just Jenn said...

It's good to get it all out... ;^)