Monday, May 10, 2010

A quilt for mom

I hope all of you had a really nice Mother's Day. It was a nice day for me, we enjoyed it. Mark took for a drive after we went to church. We wanted to go and see Trillium Lake, it is up by Mt. Hood. When we reached the turnoff, there was a sign posted that the road was closed and we'd have to hike in, and we weren't really dressed for it, so we decided to come back in a few weeks :) We ended up stopping at a river and fishing for awhile and taking in the scenery. It was a beautiful day up there.
So, I was talking to my mom a few weeks ago. She has been sick from diabetes, and her kidneys are failing. It has been so difficult for her. It is hard to stand off to the side and watch it happen, knowing you can't help at all. She started dialysis recently and has told me she gets really cold during the process (they have a machine that removes all of the blood from your body, filters it and puts it back into your body) It's a 3-4 hours process and she sits there and freezes :( My poor mom! I told her I'd send her a quilt so she could use it during her dialysis. It worked out perfect that I had this Spring Star quilt top finished and I had bought flannel backing for it. So, I used a hi-loft polyester batting, and now it is really warm and snuggly. I quilted lines going in one direction, otherwise the quilting would pucker badly. I think she'll like it, it's something pretty to look at, and it's warm.

This week will be a busy one, but a good one. Have a happy Monday and enjoy your week :D

12 comments:

Loraine said...

So sorry to hear about your mom! I hope her health will improve. It's so hard to watch. Your quilt is darling, and I bet she loves it! Happy belated mothers day!

KarenV said...

Your poor mom! :( That's a beautiful quilt for her, I hope it keeps her warm and cosy :)

Just Jenn said...

You are so prolific! Glad to hear you had a nice Mother's Day. =) Sorry to hear about your Mom, the quilt it beautiful and is sure to keep her warm; being wrapped in love will help her too.

PS: I miss your lj posts... I've got to remember to pop over here more often!

mainely stitching said...

What a lovely quilt, Heather! Looks like the fishing was good, too! :)

Siobhán said...

I'll keep your mother in my prayers, Heather. I can only imagine how hard it is to stand by and watch her go through everything. The quilt is a beautiful, tangible hug with love in every stitch.

Kathy A. said...

I am so sorry that you MOm is going through such a difficult time.
What a wonderful gift you have made for her. I am sure it will help to keep her warm.

Katrina said...

What a pretty quilt for your mom. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Denise in PA said...

Prayers and hugs for your mom! I know the quilt (and the love you put into it) will keep her warm o:) It is a beautiful quilt!

Anonymous said...

I know your mom will love the quilt; it's beautiful.

Karan said...

Sorry to hear about your Mom's health problems. Am sure such a beautiful quily, made & given in love, will help her get through those dialysis sessions. :0)

Anne Ida said...

So sorry to hear about your mom's health problems! Hopefully the quilt will keep her warm through the dialysis, and keep her spirits up - it's so soft and pretty, and must be a great comfort!

Béa said...

I really love this quilt !